Tuesday, July 10, 2007



I read on someone's blog about her stringing beads on a bracelet when she was a Campfire Girl. That reminded me of my days as a Bluebird, probably around 5th or 6th grade.


We made a vest using beads, felt, and badges. I don't remember what any of them represent anymore. The picture above in felt is my Indian (I think) name, but again, I don't remember what it is.

Okay, I did a little research and have come up with the meanings of the beads:

Elective Honors form the basis of Camp Fire work. These honors may be won in seven crafts, each craft being symbolized by a distinctively colored bead.

Home Craft--Flame colored honors, as fire has been the center of the home.

  • Health Craft--Red honors (red blood).

  • Camp Craft--Brown honors (woods).

  • Hand Craft--Green honors (creation, growing things).

  • Nature Lore--Blue honors (blue sky).

  • Business--Yellow honors (gold).

  • Patriotism--Red, white and blue honors. Since I grew up in an historic town, it was not hard to receive red, white, and blue honors. Every Patriot's Day, April 19th, our camp fire group would march in the parade on Mass. Ave to the Green. Anyone growing up in New England knows that the Green, or the Common, is the center of activity in a town. It is usually surrounded by churches and some of the original houses of the town. In Lexington, in addition to 3 churches, there is also an old tavern, the Belfry Tower (where the bell was rung), the statue of John Parker (the Minuteman) who famously said "Do not shoot until you see the white's of their (British)eyes," and a few other historic mementos.

My mother wrote and thinks my name was Wa Ta Ro. So far, I haven't discovered this meaning, but I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Timaree said...

I don't know anything about Camp Fire Girls. I was writing here in response to your question of my sisters on my blog. I tried to send an email to you at a2beadgirl@yahoo.com but it did not go through. Is that the right address?